January 2013: There is a BayCERT Training Class in session at Seabrook FD!
April 4th, 2013: Now accepting RSVPs for this class in Nassau Bay City Hall!
What is CERT Training?
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is a group of ordinary citizens that have taken 24 hours of training designed to help citizens and their families survive and be self-sufficient for 72 hours following a disaster. The training includes basic first aid, basic fire fighting like using a fire extinguisher, how to manage utility connections to your home following a disaster, how to evaluate a damaged structure and safely search it for victims, how to communicate with local emergency service agencies, and more. The disasters that are covered are the kinds of disasters that our community may experience. Tornadoes, hurricanes, tropical storms, wide-area fires, chemical emergencies and even terrorist attacks are included.
The classes will be taught by trained emergency personnel, including firefighters and emergency medical services personnel. Terrorism training will be done by FBI agents. The training costs you nothing but the 27 hours you commit to taking. The materials come from the Federal government. More information coming soon, please check back to on this website.
Our latest BayCERT 8-Week Training opportunity began in January 2012 (check back for the next available training opportunities)!
Additional training conducted, recommended, and/or required for CERT members:
- IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS)
- IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS), An Introduction
- IS-800.b National Response Framework, An Introduction
- IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources
- and other National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- CERT Animal Response I
- CERT Animal Response II
- CERT Training Webinars
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Automatic External Defibrillation (AED)
- Additional damage assessment
- Basic first aid
- Additional Incident Command System (ICS)
- Shelter operations/management